GDF conducts Technical Assistance mission in Kenya

(0)
Posted byNLTP Posted in
Posted on Apr 09, 2018

The Stop TB Partnership’s Global Drug Facility (GDF) conducted TA mission to Kenya from 26 February to 8 March, 2018. Currently, 70% of all first line TB medicines (FLDs) and TB laboratory commodities supplied to Kenya are financed by the Government of Kenya while the remaining 30% and 100% of all second line TB medicines (SLDs) and GeneXpert supplies are supported by the Global Fund. During the mission, technical assistance was provided to the country in the review of forecasting assumptions for both FLDs and SLDs based on the current TB patients’ enrollment trends.

In addition, new NTP/PSM staff and the recently revitalized commodity security group were supported to effectively apply the QuanTB tool in updating 2018/2019 quantification data based on the revised assumptions and as the early warning system (EWS) to prevent stock outs or wastage. Following the quantification review, the country agreed to revise the supply plan for 2018/2019. Additional recommendation was made to ensure TB patients’ enrolment data by regimen is well captured in the current TIBU electronic TB surveillance system, regularly analysed and used to guide future forecasting and supply plan reviews. The need to strengthen TB laboratory commodities management system was also highlighted.

The mission also reviewed progress in the introduction of new tools. Kenya started rolling out new pediatric formulations since October 2016. At the time of the mission, old pediatric formulations had been completely phased out. A nationwide rollout of the Shorter Treatment Regimen (STR) for Drug Resistant TB cases had already started since October 2017 with the current uptake being higher than previously planned. The uptake of new medicines is expected to increase as a result of adoption of rapid diagnostic test such as second line (SL) Line Probe Assay (LPA). Based on this, in addition to the current plans to integrate ADR reporting into the TIBU electronic system, the mission advised the NTP to capitalize on the existing capacity to conduct active medicines safety surveillance at Kenya Pharmacy and Poison Board (PPB) and ensure active drug safety monitoring and management (aDSM) system is immediately established.

    Leave us a comment

Facebook